St. Thomas' Church, Dudley.
St Thomas' Church replaced the medieval church which had fallen into disrepair and was demolished in 1815 by order of the vicar, Dr Luke Booker. St Thomas was built between 1815 and 1818 in the 'Gothic Style' - it was designed by William C. Brooks. It was one of the first buildings in the world to use cast iron and timber in the construction of its rafters. Although the stone was at first pale, this became very dark as a result of the pollution in the Black Country. However, the church was restored in the 1990's - the stonework was cleaned and the top of the spire was rebuilt - the church is now pale grey in colour. Its spire of 175 feet is a familiar landmark for miles around and is known locally as 'Top Church'.
Interior, St Thomas' Church, Dudley.
East Window, Parish Church, Dudley.
The Wesleyan Chapel, King Street, was erected in 1788.
The Church, Hollyhall, near Dudley.
The Church is St Augustine of Hippo and is still in regular use today.
Wesleyan Church, Brierley HIll.
This chapel was situated in Bank Street and opened on 11 October 1829. It was demolished in 1969 and a new building was opened in January 1971. The Wesleyan Methodist Society began in Brierley Hill around 1812 and met at the home of one of its members prior to the opening of the chapel. Past and Present images will be added to www.blackcountryimages.com
St Thomas' Church, Stourbridge. Please see here for more information: http://www.st-thomas-stourbridge.co.uk/history.htm
Oldswinford Church, Stourbridge.
A lovely postcard showing the interior of Oldswinford Chuch in the early 1900's
The Parish Church Of Saint Mary, Kingswinford.
Please see www.blackcountrychurchyards.co.uk for information about this Church.
All Saints Church, Sedgley.
Parish Church, Cradley Heath.
This is the Parish Church of St Luke - the photographic postcard is by E. Beech of the Imperial Studio, Cradley Heath. It is interesting because it shows the turrets on the church which were later removed. See here for detailed information: http://www.blackcountryimages.com/38323.html
Salem Church was erected in 1839 and was one of 16 dissenting chapels in the parish of West Bromwich in 1851. Source: William
White, Sheffield, 1851.
St John's Church, Prince's End, Tipton.
This postcard is dated 1905. Please see this link for detailed information:
Wesleyan Church, Park Lane, Tipton.
Interior of Wesley Chapel, Bloomfield, Tipton.
All Saint's Church, West Bromwich.
Christ Church, West Bromwich.
West Bromwich was originally part of Handsworth Parish but by the 12th century, All Saints Church, known as St Clement's and 'the Old Church', had been built and it became a Parish of its own. This remained the only church in the Parish until the 19th century when Christ Church was consecrated on 17th January 1829. There had been a growth in the population of West Bromwich, especially the southern part so there was an urgent requirement for another church.
Christ Church was a large and elegant building in the Gothic Style of architecture. The Church was in stone in the Later English style built to the designs of Francis Goodwin. The Church consisted of a chancel, nave, aisles and a western tower with pinnacles which were restored in 1882. These contained a clock and 12 bells. The first stone was laid by the Earl of Dartmouth on 25 September 1821. Christ Church Ecclesiastical Parish was formed on 24 February 1827. Sadly, Christ Church was destroyed by fire on 23 October 1979.
St Peter's Church, Wolverhampton.
This postcard is circa 1911. Many people in the Sedgley area married at this Church, otherwise known as St Peter's Collegiate Church.
Copyright © 2008 - 2016 Black Country Genealogy & Family History